12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Posted: Mon, 2005-05-23 12:47

Hi!

It's been years since I've been around here. I used to master and maintain the fan website www.dadzone.dk, but my interest in doing that was staked by "Soft Dogs".

Now I've been awaiting the new album with equal amounts of eagerness and unease.

D-A-D have been on a slippery slope the last many years, so I didn't know what to expect from this new album. The single "Scare Yourself" I have heard quite a few times on DR P3 radio, and it sounded quite well on my lousy clock radio. But in the end I gave it too much credit, as it sounded better on my clock radio than on my stereo.

Now that I can listen through the entire album I am again filled with some satisfaction and some disappointment. Satisfaction the new album isn't as bad as "Soft Dogs", and disappointment that it isn't better than "Everything Glows".

I rate using a scale from 0-10.

10 - Go buy right now
8 - Go buy this month
6 - Go buy when it's cheap
4 - Only buy if you're a collector
0 - Mail bomb the record company

"Scare yourself" has gained a little more rocking feel and some more guitar than previous albums, but it's not much. Sonne is a good drummer, but the drums were never really an important part of D-A-D's music. It's still good to hear something besides slave rhythms. "Scare yourself", as the previous two albums, lack a lot of edge. The sound is polished and the guitars sound mostly like a fluffy bunny. Where many classic D-A-D songs, both old and new, have good sing-along qualities, "Scare yourself" really only has one song like that.

I will give "Scare Yourself" a mark of 6.

For comparison, "Simpatico" got 7, "Everything Glows" got 8, "Soft Dogs" was never rated but probably got a 3.

Well as a final note, if anyone like me prefer to listen to music on mp3 players - then "Scare Yourself" should have its mark downgraded a few steps. IFPI and EMI put CopyControl on the disc.

As I exclusively use mp3-players, this brings the grade down to about "Soft Dogs" level.

(So to get the music to my mp3man, I have to download an illegal copy, rather than making a legal copy for myself).

/GertH

Posted: Mon, 2005-05-23 13:43

it's really not that hard ripping it... winamp will do the trick easily... btw, I have already sent a mail to EMI complaining about the copy "control"... I do that everytime I buy a disc infected with that shit... and I'll advise all of you to do the same! Smiley-skull

---------------------------------------

"man like dog can be taught not to talk..."

Brow's picture

Posted: Mon, 2005-05-23 13:57

Gert Hansen you sure sound like a real ass!

"I'm the Devil, I love metal!"

Posted: Mon, 2005-05-23 14:01

I had no problems copying the new cd to my mp3 player... just used the Windows media player...

HEY for NOW

Ses Vi, Det Tror Jeg Nok Vi Gør!!!!

Posted: Mon, 2005-05-23 14:05

Takes one to know one Smiley-wink

It would be nice with a sober tone here Smiley

Ég var svartklædd þegar ég var handtekin

Posted: Mon, 2005-05-23 14:17

EMI's "copy control" gave me a nice excuse to change my old CD player; it made an annoying clicking sound every 2 seconds on all new CDs from EMI Smiley-wink

However, I don't think this should affect the review of the album!

Posted: Mon, 2005-05-23 15:42

well lucy... why should EMI make you change your cd-player just because they won't make real cd's? it's not like it's hard to copy, so the only losers are the people who buy the album and want to use it on mp3 players etc and aren't able to... the people who just downloads it, have no problems with using it however they like...
So if someone could please tell me why the "pirates" should have a better and more useable product than the "legal users"? cause EMI (and other labels) has never really bothered to reply to any of my mails asking that question...
And kulturministeriet never really gave me an answer to weather it was illegal to rip a copycontrolled disc for personal use (if I break the encryption it is, but I don't know if I do, when I don't make an effort to break it)...

hmmm long talking about something not really relevant to D-A-D... sorry Smiley-midget

"man like dog can be taught not to talk..."

Posted: Mon, 2005-05-23 16:53

If I should use gerths scale i would probably give it an 8 or 9...
And what is it people have against soft dogs... well ok its not the best of their albums but it certainly don't deserve all of those negative replies...

I think Scare Yourself is an album close to perfection... Not saying that i love every song... but come on Unexplained and A Good Day are really awsome..

-Gotta have a clean conscience-
-But even better: None at all!-

Anonymous's picture
Gert Hansen (not verified)

Posted: Tue, 2005-05-24 13:12

To quote Dennis Leary: "I'm an asshole, and I'm proud of it".

Anyway. Of course a lot of fans will think this album is good, and you're entirely entitled to that. For me, it was a test if my website should be reborn in new spectacular fashion - but with this bunch of songs my D-A-D fan page will stay dead forever.

It's simply time for me to move on. Get me some German hard rock instead Smiley-laugh

/GertH

Anonymous's picture
Gert Hansen (not verified)

Posted: Tue, 2005-05-24 13:15

Quote : "However, I don't think this should affect the review of the album!"

Well the album is a complete packaged product: Music, disc, leaflet, cover. If one part is lacking (that is the disc) then the complete product is lacking as well.

/GertH

Posted: Tue, 2005-05-24 16:02

Hi Gert Hansen,

i just love you beeing so negative, and I will miss your fanpage, especially because you are so important.

Gert Hansen, may your fanpage rest in peace Smiley-midget-sad

And a little qoute from Simpatico:
"Each time you throw dirt, you loose a little ground!"

Helpyourselfish!!

Hans Obbekjær Christensen

Anonymous's picture
Scandinavian Camper (not verified)

Posted: Tue, 2005-05-24 22:32

Well I'd definently give SY 12 stars on a 10 star scale, but then again; the only DAD album I wudnt give that high rating is Softdogs. I totally adore them guys and I just wish they will keep on ROCKING till the end of the world.
Frankly I think this one is the best album since the glorious HelYourSelfish days. Even better i think.

*cries my heart out for not having tickets for u know what :(*

Add new comment